Monday, August 3, 2009

July 30 through August 3 2009






July 30
Our cellar is humid and it smells like mildew so I'm putting in a HEPA filter air cleaner machine. Using our local Freecycle I found one that just needed a new filter, although filters for it cost a lot.
 
I don't like to go down there much since I'm allergic to mold. I'm lucky I don't have the great sensitivity that some people do or I would probably be in hospital by now since our library is down there. I had bad asthma after going down there last night but thanks to corticosteroid inhalers I was able to get my breathing back to normal within an hour. 

It's really, really humid here.  Rain, threats of rain - I think we're living in a rain forest.  Climate change!  How can anyone think that this is normal.  Poor Pacific Northwest is having a really bad time - always thought I'd love to live in Seattle but even Seattle is over 100 degrees.

I mow the lawn if we get a rain-free day and I'm not busy doing something else that can't wait, like windsurfing on a good wind day.  I always feel good from all the sweating, probably because it removes heavy metals that I've accumulated from the city water we drink and wash with. I feel better afterwards and the day afterwards.  Some days we take more than one shower.  I like the water cool in the summer and that's even better for us since you apparently absorb fewer heavy metals when water is cool.

They will all be cold showers now as we turned off the furnace because it's putting out black smoke. The neighbor across the cove from us called the Fire Dept. today and they came down our street with a tanker truck looking for the fire.  At the time no one could find the source so they left. It turned out to be our house as a neighbor noticed a few hours later the smoke coming out our chimney.  I'm sure Bil can fix it but there are too many other things we want to do. for example, get the new trailer hitch attached so we can pick up the used industrial sewing machine we bought last week.  We just had our hitch delivered by UPS so we'll go Monday.

Monday:
The hitch was heavy 3/8" steel (we wanted something that would be sturdy) with two flanges which had to line up to four bolt holes on the bottom of the car itself.  It had been bent in transit probably and the holes didn't line up on the car.  

Luckily we had a grease pit. Or unluckily since I almost killed myself falling into it two summers ago while guiding hubby to fit the car into our tiny garage for an oil change and I was in FRONT of the pit walking backwards and fell into it backwards - no wonder they are prohibited by law. Our old garage was built before the law against "grease pits", which is about 4 1/2 feet deep X 3 X 4 1/2 feet. The hitch weighed about 39 pounds and after wrestling together with trying to line up the four holes we realized it wouldn't and couldn't.

We then bought a 12 ton bottle jack and some 1/8" angle iron, two 48" x 1/2" threaded pipes to define the fulcrum for the bend and 22 1/2 "  black iron pipe of 1  1/4 " diameter which acted to extend the 12 ton bottle jack.  Since the hitch metal was elastic which was a surprise to me, it needed to be bent a little further than expected and then spring back but it was close enough after that first and only bending adjustment.  After waiting several minutes to make sure it stayed re-bent, we hunkered down again and after some little struggles lining it up were done around 10 pm last night.  

The previous day hubby had finished re-wiring the trailer which had been vandalized a previous year (torn out) by some neighborhood child(ren).  Bil made a slight mistake and had to re- do it again but when the electric was hooked up to the original Honda Civic it had been set up for, it worked fine (the Honda's hitch is rusted out and can't be removed/repaired/redone).

We found out this morning that the brake lights wouldn't work when hooking the same wiring to the Toyota because this newer car is wired to use 3 rather than 2 circuits for the lights (Honda 11 years older). Rather than go out and get what we need to fix it, we drove it as is to Fall River, Massachusetts - a couple of hours away.  Picked it up, not easy - 150 - 200 pounds - tied it onto our trailer standing straight up and arrived home around 3 this afternoon with the machine intact. Now it's installed in our sunroom on cardboard - until we get something to put under the metal legs.  

I've had weird dreams lately.  I've read that the 3 mg of melatonin that I sometimes take to get to sleep is possibly causing me to have weird dreams "disturbed sleep" they call it and they are so right.  I will split the pills and try less tonight.  It's hard to get the room the right temperature and I'm fiddling with the fan all night it seems. Possibly pre-menopause, I'm either too hot or too cold.  

I don't take asthma meds everyday anymore as my asthma is better for some reason (maybe vitamin D or fish oil or grape seed extract - which one?).  I know when I need it - start getting breathless - and hopefully it happens during the day instead of at bedtime so I can get a better sleep.  I was taking Singulair and fluticasone every night.  If I encounter some mold when dust is added to it I have a major reaction and need lots of medicine and right away.  It's hard to keep the dust down with all our cats even though they're not all indoors so I vacuum almost every day.  

Bil will probably fix the furnace (again) very soon.  I have no trouble taking cold showers (after the first 60 seconds you get used to it) but he can't deal with it for some reason.  I went without heat and hot water in the 1990s before he came into my life so it's not too awful.  I went without a lot of things after my first marriage ended - it was a good experience for me because I got used to having things less than comfortable and less than perfect - not an easy lesson but valuable. Like those aches and pains that take years to accumulate, little aggravations added slowly over time, I don't notice as much of the negatives now as I used to. 

My cousin M saw a rabbit of mythological proportions and photographed it. Like many people, I would feel blessed by such a sight.  Maybe it is a hare.  I've heard of people selectively breeding them for size but they are all show rabbits and not allowed to run free.  Unless of course some concerned humane individual decides to liberate some! We got our cat Ironing Board Nellie from a man who collected exotic rabbits but really didn't care much about keeping them and his other animals comfortable in hot weather, which really disturbed me.

Hard to believe people can be so cruel - the ignorance or sickness of the soul. A huge ring of cruel people in New Haven CT thought that watching birds fight to death and by suffering was enjoyable. It happens every day all over the world. The cruel Imaginary Being opens its suffering-devouring maw and eats the pain of these creatures. Human beings think they too should enjoy this kind of thing, and perhaps they do enjoy watching these powerless pawns of animals suffer in the human-arranged arena, like they believe their imaginary being possibly sets up their own sufferings, and go to church on Sunday with no guilt, since Their imaginary being said Nothing about this being a crime and in fact gave Mankind license to do whatever they thought fit with the beasts and birds.

The ringleader of the miserable finch-fighting gang's wife apparently turned him in to the police who finally acted, for whatever reasons of her own to stop these sufferings. I imagine that slaughterhouses are also feeders of the terrible imaginary gods that devour suffering, beings who have been created by human beings who believe they've been given license to do what they will with all the animals of the earth.

Have to admit my own self-righteousness and justifications here, having been a vegetarian for close to 40 years. However, I've recently added fish occasionally to my diet due to worries over the inbalance of Omega 6:Omega 1. I've been doing a lot of reading attempting to be armed with knowledge to keep the both of us and our animals healthy by eating a better diet and leaving out unnecessary ingredients and habits like makeup and nail polish, which is contaminated with phthalates, endocrine disrupters and more.

Considering the assaults on my health by myself in my own ignorance for years when I was younger, I'm trying very hard to be fair to the people who in ignorance have abused animals. Will they grow up and realize that animals with emotions are feeling creatures worthy of respect or at least allowed to live unmolested?

I've tried hard to live without questionable chemicals as well as without judgment. I have failed. I have fears that it may be too late for me but I'm hoping not.  I don't even like to use detergent but it seems a necesity. And mold, since I'm sensitive to it, is only killed by bleach. Occasionally I will use diluted liquid bleach - even with the windows open I try not to breathe it in and always wear gloves.  

I have led an exceptionally stupid life - things I did for love, I thought. I had a boyfriend in 1999 who wanted me to wear fake nails and bleach my hair platinum. I did both of these things and more for him thinking that he would love me. He only loved himself.  My hair and nail chemicals likely polluted my body more than anything I'd done in the past 20 years, as they were both ruined for months afterwards.

Anyway here are the photos from our recent sewing machine acquiring trip, with trailer photos also before and after.

No comments: